By Tammy O’Neil ~
Are you easily DISTRACTED and DISORGANIZED where CHAOS and CONFUSION rule your life…? Do you feel like you’re living in a Traditionally Organized World when you’re not…? You’ve come to the right place for answers!
Dear Organizer Coach,
Since I’ve retired, I enjoy traveling, however; I get paralyzed with fear just thinking about all the details involved! I loathe packing and organization. I’m leaving for an Alaskan cruise soon and I’m feeling anxious about everything. HELP! —”Sincerely, Ms. Travelitis”
Dear Ms. Travelitis,
Congratulations on enjoying your retirement! Traveling is a great way to create new memories, meet new friends, and explore different cultures.
Let’s talk about your travelitis, Ms. Travelitis: travelitis is a form of fear paralysis that occurs during the planning and packing for a trip, causing worry about the actual traveling day and enhancing the concern you’ll forget something.
Absolutely, traveling does require preparation. Now, let’s develop a realistic Action Plan.
1. Begin with the end in mind (length of trip = 2 weeks = 14 days) and work backwards
2. Determine amount of weekly prep time beginning now until departure
3. Develop a “Brain Dump” of everything you want to accomplish prior to Cruise time. Categorize your “Brain Dump” and assign like with like
4. Schedule a consistent date and time in your calendar – Color code!
5. Continue completing action items until finished
By chunking (dividing) your “Travel Organization” plan into small and manageable increments, you are able to enjoy and honor the Organization process involved in preparing for your trip. No more travelitis, just traveling. Cheers to future trips!