Your kids and grandkids will love this pasta dish – it tastes like pepperoni pizza, and you will appreciate how easy it is to make in just one pot! Kid tested and approved.
Pizza Pasta Dish
Prep 40 min | Cook 15 min | Ready in 55 min | Yield: 7 Servings
- 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning mix
- 8 oz. (90% lean ground beef
- 1 qt. (1 lb) beef stock
- 1 jar (14 oz) pizza sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 lb. (450 g) rotini pasta
- ½ pkt (2.5 oz./75 g) pepperoni slices, cut in half
- 1½ oz. (45 g) Parmesan cheese, finely grated (¾ cup/175 mL), divided
- 2 oz. (60 g) low-moisture mozzarella cheese, coarsely grated (½ cup/125 mL)
- Optional: Fresh chopped parsley
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat for 3–5 minutes.
- Working in batches, finely chop the onion and pepper in a manual food processor
- Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, and Italian seasoning mix to the Dutch oven; cook, uncovered, until the onion and pepper are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook, breaking into crumbles, until the beef is mostly browned, about 8–10 minutes; drain (if necessary).
- Stir in the beef stock, pizza sauce, water, and pasta. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, and cook until pasta is done, about 8–9 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the broiler and adjust the rack so that the Dutch oven is close to the heat source.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the oven; stir in the pepperoni slices and half of Parmesan cheese. Top with the mozzarella and remaining Parmesan.
- Broil until the cheese is bubbly and melted, about 2–3 minutes. Remove from the oven. If you’d like, sprinkle with parsley before serving.
RockCrock Dutch oven
Manual food processor
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving (1½ cups/375 mL):
Total Fat 12 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 45 mg, Sodium 910 mg
Carbohydrate 57 g
Fiber 4 g, Protein 26 g