Created By: Chef Rebecka Evans | Photo By: Rebecka Evans |
Enjoy these delicious Italian fried chicken cutlets braised in butter, capers, white wine, and lemon sauce. Serve with your favorite pasta for a hearty and filling meal!
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes | Yield: 4 servings
- 4 chicken breasts pounded to about 1/4 inch thick, or cut thinly
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (more as needed)
- 3 tablespoons butter (more as needed)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Pinot Grigio, or other crisp white wine
- 1/2 lemon, juiced (about 1-1/2 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Lemon wedges
- Combine the flour, parmesan cheese, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Dredge the chicken in this mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottom skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in hot oil.
- Add two or three breaded chicken cutlets to the hot pan. Cook 4-5 minutes per side or until just cooked through. Cook chicken in batches, adding more butter and oil as necessary. Remove cooked chicken to a pan and keep warm.
- After the chicken is cooked, melt 1/4 cup butter in the same pan. Add flour and make a roux. Whisk until smooth. Cook 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth, whisking after each addition until smooth.
- Add lemon juice, white wine, and capers. Simmer 3 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Add the cooked chicken back to the pan and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Stir in parsley and serve with your favorite pasta.
For best results, use a good drinking wine. Remember if you wouldn’t drink it, don’t cook with it. I used a delicious Pinot Grigio that I also served with the meal.
For low carb version, substitute zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice for the pasta.