By midlife, many of us have searched for ways to feel our best—less achy and blue, more energized and emotionally fulfilled. For most, western medicine, doctors, exercise, therapy and supplements make sense. But it’s also good to consider less traditional methods of healing, such as energy centering work.
My personal quest to make my over-50 experience the healthiest and happiest years possible led me to become a certified energy work practitioner. Since then, I’ve witnessed first-hand the remarkable results of the powerful healing of energy work and how it makes me feel.
The Seven Main Energy Centers (chakras) and How They Impact How You Feel
- Root—This chakra is located at the base of the spine and is considered the foundation of your body and mind. Imbalances in the root chakra manifest in issues surrounding safety, security, and stability. Meditation using the following affirmation can begin to restore balance to this chakra: I am exactly where I need to be.
- Sacral—The sacral chakra is located in the middle of the lower back and governs the liquid elements of your body, including blood, lymph, and urine. When out of balance, you may suffer from problems with the kidneys, urinary tract, or reproductive system, or have trouble expressing your emotions. Try this meditation affirmation for balance: I abandon myself to the flow of divine energy and welcome healthy change into my life.
- Solar Plexus—Located in the area just below the rib cage and above the navel, this chakra provides the power for your mind and body to process matter and energy. When out of balance, you may feel irritable and lack energy and self-confidence. To restore balance, try this affirmation: I claim my personal power with courage and openness.
- Heart—The heart chakra is located mid-chest and is considered one of the most powerful links between the physical and spiritual realms. This is where we often hold stress. When unbalanced, you may feel lonely, isolated, jealous, bitter, or heavy-hearted. Try this helpful affirmation to bring balance: I forgive myself and others, and free my heart of unnecessary burdens.
- Throat—Located at the base of the throat, this chakra is the communication center of your subtle body energy. An imbalance can impede your ability to listen, speak, and express what is on your heart and mind. Repeating this affirmation can help restore balance: I can communicate my feelings and emotions in honest, pure, and healthy ways.
- Third Eye—The third eye chakra is located mid-forehead and is the seat of your “sixth sense,” your intuition, and your five physical senses. This chakra governs concentration and memory. Imbalances can manifest as headaches, vision issues, and poor memory. To help balance, try this affirmation: My mind is healthy, strong, focused, and alert.
- Crown—The crown chakra is located at the top of your head. Your ability to experience joy, inspiration, and spiritual enlightenment is connected to this chakra. Imbalances can manifest as insomnia, dizziness, lack of faith, and feelings of apathy. To improve balance, meditate on this affirmation: I am surrounded and protected by Divine Light.
Think on these affirmations and consider how your chakras may play into how you feel physically, mentally, and spiritually.
Cheers to balancing your energy centers and to living well at 50+!