Recipe created by Chef Judy Beaudin ~
Celebrate National Soup Month with Chef Judy’s original delicious recipe, Creamy Lemon Chicken Tortellini Soup, for the chilly days of winter to warm you inside and out.
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 45 minutes | 8-10 Servings
- 2 pounds uncooked chicken tenderloins
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 4 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- (2) 32-ounce cartons chicken broth
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lemon peel strip, about 3”- 4” long (use a vegetable peeler for this step)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 20 oz package refrigerated three-cheese tortellini
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Pat chicken tenderloins dry with paper towel and sprinkle lightly with Kosher salt and pepper.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium high heat and add the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter. In two batches, cook the chicken tenderloins for 2-3 minutes per side until juices run clear. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the heat and add half the wine to deglaze the pan.
- Whisk to loosen any browned bits from the bottom, returning the pan to the heat.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter, the chopped celery, carrots and onion. Cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic.
- Add the remaining wine and cook for an additional minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth.
- Using kitchen twine, tie together the fresh thyme, parsley, bay leaf and lemon peel strip. Add this to the soup and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium low heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- During simmer, chop the chicken into bite size pieces and set aside.
- When 10 minutes remain in the simmering time, add the tortellini, start with half the package and add more if desired later.
- When simmer time is complete, add the lemon juice and heavy cream.
- Add the chopped chicken
- Remove herb bouquet
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley.