Cooking with your Grandkids can be fun!
Create this delicious caramel apple treat with your grandkiddos for a perfect afternoon delight!
Salted Caramel Apple Ring
Yield: 10 servings
- 2 pkg refrigerated Crescent Rolls
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples
- 2/3 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
Salted Caramel Sauce:
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp butter
- Coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Microwave butter 30 seconds until melted.
- Grease large round stone, or baking sheet.
- Unroll crescents, place in a circle with tips facing away from center, brush with butter.
- Sprinkle crescents with the cinnamon mixture, reserve 2 TBSP to mix with nuts.
- Peel, core and slice apples using a peeler and paring knife or the handy Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer. Kids love using this peeler!
- Place apple slices atop crescents.
- Pull crescent tips toward center to make the ring.
- Mix chopped nuts with remaining cinnamon mix; sprinkle on top.
- Bake 25 minutes or until biscuits are deep golden brown.
- Place maple syrup in small saucepan over medium-high heat stirring occasionally until small bubbles form.
- Add butter; stir until melted, bring to boil, boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; let cool 15 minutes to thicken.
- Drizzle caramel sauce on the ring, then sprinkle with sea salt for an extra sweet treat.
COOK’S TIP: Keep apple slices from turning brown without changing the flavor. Dip them in lemon-lime soda.
NOTE: As a cool environmental experience with your grandkiddos, plant what is left over from the apple in the garden: Simmer apple peels on the stove with cinnamon and cloves, dig a hole, plant cores and add cooled apple peels for compost to put nutrients back into the soil.
Nutrition Per Serving:
Total Fat 12 g
Saturated Fat 4.5 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Carbohydrate 35 g
Protein 3 g
Sodium 480 mg
Fiber 1 g