A perfect dish for anytime.
My savory Mushroom Pot Pie Recipe is the perfect comfort food, made with a medley of fresh mushrooms, leeks, and thyme.
This dish will delight your tastebuds with its flaky crust and earthy, creamy mushroom filling. A premade pie crust makes this quick and easy to enjoy with family and friends.
Serve with a crisp white wine. Or, for a special winter treat, try serving the meal with a warm mulled spiced wine — decadent!
Prep Time: 15 Mins | Cook Time: 20 Mins | Pre-Bake Pie Crust: 8 Mins | Servings: 2-4
- 2 9-in premade pie rounds, room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups mixed mushrooms trumpets, clamshell, white button, cremini,
- ¼ cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup leeks, chopped thoroughly (wash leeks to remove sand and dirt)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme; more for garnish
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup vegetable or chicken stock (more can be added if the filling becomes too thick)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Pie Crust:
- Bring your pre-made pastry rounds to room temperature and set your oven to 400 degrees.
- For the top crust: Cut smaller rounds using the bottom of individual cast iron or copper pan as a guide. Cut ¼ inch wider than the bottom of the pan so the crust drapes slightly over the top of the pan.
- For the bottom crust: Using remnants of the remaining crust, pinch or press together to form another large round and cut smaller rounds using the bottom of individual cast iron or copper pan as a guide. Place the bottom rounds into each individual pan.
- Poke a hole using the tines of a fork. Put dishes onto a baking tray and bake at 400F for eight minutes, or until the crust is lightly golden. Remove from oven and set aside unit ready to fill.
For the Filling:
- In a sauté pan, add butter and olive oil to the pan and cook your leeks, garlic, celery, and mushrooms. Season with salt, pepper, thyme, and nutmeg. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add flour and stir to combine. Cook stirring for two minutes to remove the floury taste. Add chicken stock and stir until mixture is creamy and thickened. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add heavy cream to the mushroom filling. Stir to combine.
- Pour equal amounts of filling to the individual baking dishes.
- Pour pot pie mixture in the pans, and top with your pastry rounds to cover the bowl entirely. Some of the crust should go over the edge.
- Use a brush to spread oil over the top as well. This should make 2-3 small pot pies or one large pot pie.
- Slice lines in the top to allow air to flow through. Bake for about 20-30 minutes, or until the pastry is cooked throughout.
- Top with thyme.